BBC Recruitment for Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media) 2016
The BBC through this program- BBC Recruitment is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. BBC is recruiting for the post of Senior Broadcast Journalist (Social Media) with the following job descriptions
Job Reference: BBC/TP/672267/19138
Contract Type: Permanent – Full Time
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News: W2020
Reports to: Editor BBC Hausa
To be a beneficiary of BBC Recruitment 2016,
- You must have demonstrable experience of working on social media platforms, along with excellent editorial experience and strong writing skills. You will lead the day-to-day running of the BBC Hausa social media platforms.
- The successful candidate will be helping to grow our audience reach and engagement, as well as referrals to our content across all platforms.
- You will work with the BBC Hausa digital team with a reporting line to the BBC Hausa Editor and Bureau Editor. You will provide best practice guidance for the teams social media activity, using feedback from performance data to drive success.
- The Senior Social Media Journalists task is to use social media effectively to spot the news as it breaks, curate and cultivate user generated content, identify viral content, develop and manage onsite communities and offsite social presences, with the aim of maximising reach and awareness.
- You will ensure that the social offer is engaging, coherent, upholds BBC Newss editorial values and further establishes BBC Hausa as a ground breaking interactive site especially amongst young audiences.
Trending now Nigerian stock exchange recruitment
- To lead and develop a fresh and innovative creative approach to curating, publishing and editing stories for BBC Hausa social media platforms.
- To create content for social- videos, online, gifs, pictures, Facebook lives , instagram Stories, etc
- To manage the interactive offer across all social media platforms.
- To be up to date with the new trends on social media and react accordingly.
- Test and provide feedback on new social tools. Provide training where necessary.
- You’ll be working with colleagues in the regional service but you’ll also be expected to produce stories that have global and pan African appeal
- Ensure all content published and commissioned adheres to BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and commitment to the editorial aims of BBC News.
- You’ll be expected to represent your service and can be called on to share regional knowledge across BBC outlets, including on air
- Contribute to regular service audits with colleagues and stakeholders to review core output
Requirements for BBC Recruitment 2016
The Ideal Candidate:
- You will have a proven and successful record of working in an online production environment with demonstrable experience and enthusiasm for social media and interactivity, an excellent knowledge of developments in social media and related areas.
- Youll have an eye for a good story, the ability to tell digital stories in Hausa and English and have video editing skills. It would advantageous if your language skills extended to Igbo, Pidgin or Yoruba.
- You must have strong editorial judgement and a solid understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- You will have the ability to create new form/short form content from the development of an idea through to editing and publishing and have experience producing content specifically for social platforms like Instagram, YouTube and Facebook.
- You must have a self-learner approach to new technologies and an understanding of their potential is essential.
Key skills/Experience required:
- The chance to be enlisted in this year’s BBC Recruitment is dependent on excellent written and spoken Hausa language skills
- Enthusiasm and curiosity for and an in-depth understanding of digital and social media, above all with regard to global journalism.
- Experience of creating high quality copy and create assets (images, gifs, video) that can be used across social media channels in accordance with channel priorities.
- An understanding of the broader digital landscape in Africa and a proven interest in keeping up to date with developments in social media.
- Proven record of using social media effectively to engage audiences
- Good knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter particularly around posting formats and best practice, engagement and technical issues.
- Evidence of sound editorial and community judgement as well as an understanding of the power of online communities.
- Strong editorial judgment and a solid understanding of journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Experience of working on youth content
- Good knowledge of social media optimization, analytics and newsgathering tools used by the BBC
- The ability to plan and organise time and resources effectively and to manage projects to conclusion according to deadlines.
- Makes the right editorial and policy decisions based upon a clear understanding of the BBC’s distinctive news agenda, the requirements of news and current affairs coverage as well as those of the programme departments.
- Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and take responsibility for the outcomes of the decisions made.
Imagination / Creative Thinking:
- Translates news and current affairs into high quality programming through a detailed understanding of the requirements of the broadcast media and possession of the necessary writing, directing and reporting skills.
Planning and organizing:
- Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others.
- Prioritizes and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by professionalism, commitment, motivation and energy.
Influencing and persuading:
- Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Managing relationships and team working:
- Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team.
Application Closing Date: 28th December, 2016.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online